Wednesday, August 01, 2007

An Economic Creed

by Fr. Vincent McNabb


1. I believe that human life, being a divine life, is not adequately paid by any human dividend, but only by a divine wage.

2. I believe that "the desire of money is the root of all evil" in our economic world.

3. I believe that a life organised for moneymaking is the error of taking "gain to be godliness."

4. I believe that money values are false values: as money weights are false weights.

5. I believe that mass production on the land is not for the sake of the land, but for the sake of money.

6. I believe that what is called moneymaking is not wealth-making, but money-getting.

7. I believe that the growing of one commodity, such as fruit or flowers, finally impoverishes the country by making it the servant of the town; whereas the town should be the servant of the country.

8. I believe the salvation of our overindustrialised England must come from the land, but it cannot come from industrialising the land.

9. I believe that the business methods which have brought our towns to bankruptcy would bring our country to bankruptcy.

10. Finally, I believe that by organising our land-work for a market, and not for home and homestead consumption, inevitably puts the landworker at the mercy of the market and the transport service which carries the market.

11. I believe in God, the pattern or the Mount, who has challenged us by a life and death given the service of mankind.

12. I believe that to service God by serving man is not to be a slave, but a king.

"Servire Deo Regnare Est." God's Service is Kingship!

Interview with Thomas Storck

On Cooperative Ownership

John Médaille Interview in Romania

Download Web Counter

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP